Monday, 30 April 2012

Hard Times

Running a shop and gallery can be one of the most erratic, vibrant, difficult and wonderful ways to make a living. Last week was at the more difficult end of the scale and inspired by a tweet I sent I felt the need to write a hopefully honest blog about the difficulties and stresses involved. My apologies if it gets a little rambling!


Last week was probably one of the hardest I've had at the gallery. We've been open since summer 2010 and financially it was our 3rd worst week since opening. This can be very difficult to stomach, especially when you really are doing your all to bring in paying customers. Unfortunately some times you just can't do anything else. It wasn't my fault that it didn't stop raining all week and the main car park was flooded. It wasn't my fault (I hope!) that we're officially back in a recession. And it's not my fault that the town is not looking so great at the moment, with a good number of empty shops and more to come on the horizon ( I know of at least 3 places closing within the next month or so). But, however much I tell myself these things, it doesn't make sitting here waiting for customers and not seeing them any easier. 
Flooded Carpark at Blandford courtesy of BlandfordForumPeople
Luckily I don't tend to be twiddling my thumbs as I can spend the time making my animals, especially at the moment with Dorset Art Weeks looming. Others aren't so fortunate and I see fellow shopkeepers sat there, waiting for the door to open, and if they're anything like me, wondering quite how much longer they can do this for. From visiting business and retail forums, it's obvious no one is alone in this.


I realise this all sounds a bit doom and gloom and I do want to say that it isn't always like this! If it was, I really wouldn't still be open. For every difficult day, week, moment, there are many more that are great, uplifting and that remind me why I did this in the first place. And financially, the bad weeks are thankfully outweighed by the good, at least at the moment.
Image courtesy of and copyright Katie Meyer 2012
I don't want to get into the ins and outs of why high streets are struggling here. I have my theories but that's for another time. What I do want to address and point out is the stress and hardwork that goes into running a business like this. I'm certain other businesses are more stressful and involve more hard work, but this is me and what I know. To do something like this, and to be able to cope with the ups and downs talked about above you need support. You cannot do this alone, and if you do, sooner or later you'll be stuck. I am so lucky to have an OH who is happy to sit and listen to my rants, and parents who are involved in the business and able to offer both business support and emotional support. I also have a wonderful gallery assistant who, though she's only in one day a week, is often the crutch I need to keep going, and is also there for a glass of wine when needed!


I also have a fabulous support network online through twitter. The ability to talk to other gallery owners, makers, and those totally distanced from this world is such a treat and one that I would never take for granted. 
Image courtesy of and copyright Katie Meyer 2012
Opening a shop or gallery is something that should never be done lightly, and I personally had no idea about quite how much hard work it would be, or how much stress I'd be dealing with from time to time. It's a hard slog out there some days, but I'm truly happy to still be here, and once the hard weeks are over and done with, the sun does come out (if only for a day!) and you can stop. Reset. And start again with a smile and a rush of lovely customers as has just happened here!

3 comments:

  1. I can certainly sympathsize with you as I too have a retail shop (gifts) in a small market town in Oxfordshire and things are very tough out there. In a strange way it is good to know it is not us doing anything wrong it is the market how we change that well thats for another day.... but chin up and always remember why you do it in the first place, and sometimes I need to remember that as well

    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Denise. There's lots of us out there and it's great to have support from fellow shopkeepers. I really do enjoy it, but I think it's good to point out every now and again that it's not all sunshine and roses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine how hard it must be to run any type of shop/gallery at the mo but rant if you must!
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete