On Sunday I was up bright and early to head to the British Craft Trade Fair (BCTF) at the Great Yorkshire Showground. It's definitely better than going to London for trade shows, the showground has beautiful views and it's a lovely drive through Yorkshire to get there.
There are about 500 stands at the show and I was driving back to Dorset that evening so we didn't have all that much time. My mum came along to give another opinion and ask the questions I always forget! I was also hoping to get some inspiration for how to display my animals as I've now got two big shows lined up (more on that another time).
I love going to the trade shows. It's a great way to see new trends and new makers, but I especially enjoy meeting up with existing suppliers and friends from twitter. Plus there's lots of beautiful craft to look at of course.
We had a pretty successful day and have about 5 new makers lined up for the gallery, and plenty more to keep in mind for the future. A few favourites have to be...
Rare Notions, otherwise known as Phiona Richards whom you may have seen on Kirstie making her fabulous paper jewellery and playful sculptures. I was pleasantly surprised at the durability of the pieces and fingers crossed we'll have some to show off in the gallery soon. They make really quirky yet elegant accessories and I can't wait to get my hands on a pin brooch.
Vanessa Conyers and her wonderful ceramics. We already stock Vanessa's work, and her studio is about 200 meters from the gallery but it was lovely to see her at the show and see all her pieces laid out. Her ceramics are truly beautiful and different and well worth a look if you haven't seen her work before.
Made by Simone. I spotted Simone online a few weeks ago and had been really looking forward to seeing her stand. I wasn't disappointed, her ceramic bottles and jewellery are fresh, unique and very wearable (the jewellery, not the bottles...!)
Helen Lea. I hadn't seen Helen's jewellery before but was so glad I spotted it, and we'll be showing her work later in the year. She makes the sweetest little silver pendants, charms and earrings with everything from hedgehogs and ladybirds, to rabbits and carrots and mice and cheese. Fun jewellery that definitely made me smile :)
A few other makers that caught my eye were Richard Goodwin-Jones' raku boats and beach huts, Suzie Horan's ammonite inspired silver jewellery and Anne Cope's simple and bright ceramic jewellery.
There were loads more, and it was great to see so many talented British makers all under one roof, a real inspiration.
No comments:
Post a Comment