Dorset Art Weeks finished on Sunday. Two weeks of having my own work on show in my own gallery. I'm not sure I'll ever get round how professional and real that sounds! The reality is far more knackering, stressful and emotional. A year ago, even 8 months ago I had no idea I'd be doing this, and it's been so tiring that I'm still not sure whether I am happy with how it went.
In terms of numbers it was great. Lots of people found me thanks to the great brochure that DAW produce and the website, and hopefully a bit of my own promo. There were plenty of visitors that didn't know the gallery was here so the exposure has been well worth it. I got the feeling my work was quite quirky for the usual visitors, the odd one walking out when they realised there were no paintings...! But the absolute majority seemed to really enjoy and appreciate what I'm doing. So many had never seen needle felting before, and if they had they hadn't seen large pieces like some of mine. I must admit I did start to tire of explaining it all by the end so am glad to step away from the felting for a few days. But the other side of that is the chance I got to explain needle felting to so many!
There were lots of amazing comments left in my visitor book and I think that will be a good thing to look at when I'm feeling a bit down about my work. One thing I did wonder was whether describing it as 'sculptural needle felting' is too niche and I need to look at changing that to something like 'wool sculptures'... I'll keep thinking about that one!
I could have sold a few more pieces; even though I'm quite happy selling other's work and promoting our other makers to customers, when it came down to it being my work I buckled a little and perhaps didn't sell myself as well as I could. All good mistakes to make and learn from. And I did still sell a number of pieces including my showcase pheasant that was in the window, so am really chuffed with that.
Now it's over, I'm going to have a few days away from the wool (I'm actually going on a clay animal sculpture course with Clare Trenchard so that will force my hand!), take a rest, recuperate and start to think about what next. I'm also going to the Craft Festival at Bovey Tracey on Sunday and I'll aim to blog about that next week.
I've just been reading some great blogs that are all under the title of 'Things I'm afraid to Tell You' influenced by Jess Constable and started by Ez at Creature Comforts blog about being honest in blogs and online. In a comment on The Jealous Curator's post there was the below quote which I feel sums up quite well where I am with my work at the moment, so I'll let that do the talking...
― Ira Glass

Dear Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteI was not able to visit the gallery and see your work 'for real' but I would like to comment on your blog.
You have both talent and originality. You are using an original medium to create very appealing animals and birds in which you combine both good visual observation with character. The results are delightful.
I don't entirely agree with the quote above in that I believe that many people do have the ability to create things that are good right from the beginning but are unable to see it themselves. Yes, personal taste plays a part but I sometimes think that false modesty is also at play -do we know inside that our work has pleased us,but not be willing to say so? Many of us find it difficult to sell ourselves as artists.
I have taught creative subjects involving textiles for many years and I think that your work does already have a 'special something.' Keep making and be proud of it.
Best wishes,
Hi Jenni,
DeleteThanks so much for your comment and your kind words. I imagine everyone suffers from a lack of self belief every now and then (probably more often than we may admit!)but as you say, that doesn't mean what we are creating isn't any good, just that we may struggle to articulate that about our own creations. I must try and be a bit more positive about my own work, I really do love my animals and am just amazed that others do to!
Stephanie x
Nice one Stephanie
ReplyDeleteHi Stephanie,
ReplyDeleteJust a quick message to say I enjoyed your blog and the quote.
Good luck,
Karina